Meet…Andrea Butje: Aromatherapy Specialist and Author at Aromahead Institute!
We love hearing more about the lives and loves of our NaturalCures contributors and we’re pretty sure you do too. Today, we’re bringing you a fun Q&A with Andrea Butje, who’s a long-time fan of all things aromatherapy and even set up her own aromatherapy school – www.aromahead.com – as a result. She’s also just completed writing an informative new aromatherapy book: Essential Living: Aromatherapy Recipes for Health & Home.
Here, Andrea lets us in on her favorite essential oil recipes, as well as her plans for the future and her top tips to unwind and de-stress.
1. When and how did you first discover an interest in aromatherapy and natural pampering treats?
I was always interested in plants and herbs and started to work with essential oils in 1994 – our first year of owning and running the Finger Lakes School of Massage in Ithaca, NY. I went to aromatherapy school in England, and traveled to France to visit some essential oils distillers and open my own aromatherapy school. I started Aromahead Institute in 1999.
2. What’s your favorite way to de-stress?
I love making my own body care products and natural incense. I find natural aromas from essential oils and resins very calm and enjoyable. The process of making creams, body butters and even cleaning products is my way to unwind! It is creative and the house smells great.
3. What are your top three aromatherapy oils and why?
- I love frankincense for its calming aroma and how it relieves a headache
- Lemon oil is antimicrobial (for cleaning) and leaves the house with a bright aroma
- Lavender is always in use at our house. It is great for sleep, to help heal a cut or a bruise and for muscle aches and pains
Do you have a failsafe, quick and easy aromatherapy pampering recipe everyone can try at home?
A cleaning scrub for kitchen and bathroom surfaces – so easy!
In a 16 oz-wide mouth container combine the following:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of Castile soap
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil (mentha x piperita)
Mix and cover. Use a little on your sponge for cleaning the sink, shower or bathtub.
4. Which oil(s) do you always make sure you have in the house?
Lemon, orange, lavender, tea tree and white pine
5. If you could create a pampering aromatherapy treatment for anyone, who would it be?
I would make a luscious bath salt for all young moms with kids!
6. Finally, where do you see yourself in five years’ time?
Actually, I love my life. I have a great time teaching at my school, Aromahead Institute. I see myself continuing to teach and work with online students from around the world. I really enjoy working for myself from home. So believe it or not, more of the same is just great for me!
Remember to always consult a licensed healthcare practitioner before embarking on any treatment, it’s your health and it’s IMPORTANT. Disclaimer
If you enjoy reading these articles you might be interested in receiving our monthly newsletter. Read more here
Members don’t forget you can view all past and present Newsletters on the site here