Probiotics – the healthy way to boost vitamin D
Many of our expert contributors have long been fans of probiotics – and now we’ve even more reason to ensure we supplement our diet with the handy little supplements A recent study revealed that a taking a probiotic supplement boosted levels of the vitamin by more than 25 per cent.
Investigating the effects of probiotics after a supplement had been taken by a group of adults for nine weeks, researchers tested vitamin D levels by monitoring levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in the blood. Due to the number of children developing rickets and the amount of adults developing osteoporosis, vitamin D levels continue to be of increasing concern.
Elsewhere, researchers are also discovering links between levels of vitamin D and protection against heart disease, diabetes and autoimmune diseases.
This research – published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism – is the first evidence that probiotics play a significant role in maintaining the body’s levels of the vitamin.
Do you get enough vitamin D? And do you take probiotics regularly? Comment below and let us know.
Remember to always consult a licensed healthcare practitioner before embarking on any treatment, it’s your health and it’s IMPORTANT. Disclaimer
If you enjoy reading these articles you might be interested in receiving our monthly newsletter. Read more here
Members don’t forget you can view all past and present Newsletters on the site here
- 22 May, 2013 Got asthma? Try vitamin D (0)
- 1 June, 2013 Yogurt: A natural cure for depression? (0)
- 14 February, 2013 Vitamin D supplement labels may be inaccurate (4)
- 28 January, 2013 Fermented foods: The benefits of probiotics (5)
- 27 June, 2013 The sunshine dilemma: Should your kids wear sunscreen? (4)
- 3 July, 2012 Health on a Budget (0)
- 17 May, 2012 Our Internal World: Probiotics And Our Inner Ecology At Work (0)
- 9 May, 2013 New research is a ray of sunshine (0)
- 28 May, 2013 Heartburn sufferers at increased cancer risk (0)
- 15 June, 2013 Here comes summer – but stay away from cancer-causing sunscreen (0)
NaturalCures.com provides you with natural, non-drug and non-surgical ways to cure and prevent virtually every disease. We provide worldwide information on health, nutrition and natural remedies. In the Natural Cures Health Blog you will find articles from leading experts discussing the latest hot topics and providing friendly advice on how you can live a healthier, happier life! Congratulations on taking the first step towards a healthier future. NaturalCures.com Team